Saturday, November 21, 2015

Life in Japanese-American Internment Camps

We think in images rather than words.  This is one of the reasons why I have flipped all of my classes and thrown out our textbooks (there are others too such as the videos offer different modalities if done correctly and it gives teachers much more flexibility in class). 

But I like to show as many images as possible to my history students.  Thus this series of Ansel Adams pictures from a Japanese-American internment camp is very powerful for me.  It also includes a short description of the FDR's executive order 9066 which allowed this.   Of course when you teach it, you need to go over Korematsu v. US.  

Below is a short clip about George Takei who was one of those interned in camps as "an enemy non alien."  Here is the full length video from PBS about the subject.  Below the Takei video is another one is one that combines images and personal stories. 

No comments: