Monday, November 10, 2014

How We Learn

As I have noted before, it is not often that I push something that costs money, but at Frank Franz' suggestion I read How We Learn, by Benedict Carey.  Here are some of the highlights in Scientific American.  The upshot is that the author contends with quantitative backing:

  • that studying day after day is not good that we should have a day or two off after studying the first time and that there will be surprisingly more retention when one tests on the third day after studying than on the day you studied
  • that studying on multiple days, not in succession increases long term retention
  • that brief study breaks to do things totally unrelated such as checking text messages, as long as not done every few minutes help the brain make connections
  • that going back to earlier material all year again helps the learning process
  • that having students think and not just listen and write makes the long term learning better

2 comments:

Kellie Cuhaj said...

My name is Kellie Cuhaj and I am currently a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. The course is on using technology in the classroom. We are to summarize different blogs throughout the year on our own blog. I was glad to read this post. I think it is important as teachers to help our students learn how to effectively study. I also read several other posts and have really enjoyed your blog. I like the links you have posted. Some of the links will be great for helping to engage students in history.

Unknown said...

In our country we have it better thanks for the sgreat universitie